What Is a Salesforce Administrator? And How to Become One
Salesforce is a customer relationship management (CRM) platform that provides businesses with applications for managing customer data and customer interactions and automating sales and customer service processes.
The platform is cloud-based, and users can access the applications through a web browser or mobile app.
What is a Salesforce administrator?
A Salesforce administrator is responsible for configuring, customising, and maintaining the Salesforce platform for an organisation. They ensure the platform is configured to meet the business's needs, manage user accounts and security, and provide ongoing maintenance and support. This role requires a good understanding of the Salesforce platform and its capabilities and experience administering and configuring enterprise software systems.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Salesforce administrator
The primary responsibilities of a Salesforce administrator include the following:
- Configuring and customising the Salesforce platform to meet the organisation's specific needs.
- Managing user accounts and security, including granting and revoking access to the platform and determining user profiles and roles.
- Providing ongoing maintenance and support for the platform, including fixing bugs and resolving technical issues.
- Developing and implementing data management policies, including data backup and recovery processes.
- Monitoring system performance and usage and optimising the platform for better performance and scalability.
- Providing training and support to users and assisting with adopting new Salesforce features and functionality.
- Creating custom reports and dashboards to meet the reporting needs of different departments and stakeholders.
- Collaborating with business stakeholders and developers to understand their requirements and build custom solutions on the Salesforce platform.
- Staying up-to-date with the latest Salesforce releases, features, and best practices and recommending new solutions to meet changing business needs.
How to become a Salesforce administrator
Here are the steps to become a Salesforce administrator:
- Acquire knowledge of the Salesforce platform: Start by familiarising yourself with the Salesforce platform, its capabilities, and its various components, such as Sales Cloud, Service Cloud, and Marketing Cloud. You can do this by reading the Salesforce documentation, taking online courses, or attending training sessions.
- Obtain a Salesforce certification: Salesforce offers several administrator certifications, including the Salesforce Certified Administrator and Salesforce Certified Advanced Administrator. These certifications demonstrate your expertise in the platform and can increase your job prospects.
- Gain hands-on experience: The best way to gain hands-on experience is by working on live projects. You can start by volunteering to help administer a Salesforce instance for a small organisation or by working on a side project for a personal or non-profit organisation.
- Network with other Salesforce professionals: Joining Salesforce user groups, attending events, and participating in online forums can help you connect with other professionals in the field, stay up-to-date with the latest developments, and find job opportunities.
- Stay current with new releases and features: Salesforce is constantly evolving, and it is essential to stay up-to-date with the latest releases, features, and best practices. You can attend online webinars, read the Salesforce blog, or take advanced training courses.
Note: While these steps can help you become a Salesforce administrator, the requirements may vary depending on the organisation and the specific role.
Salesforce administrator: Job Outlook
The job outlook for Salesforce administrators is very positive. Salesforce has become one of the most widely used customer relationship management (CRM) platforms, and businesses are increasingly adopting the platform to manage customer interactions, sales, and customer service processes.
This has created a high demand for skilled Salesforce administrators who can help organisations configure, customise, and optimise the platform to meet their needs.
Here are some standard job titles for individuals who work with the Salesforce platform:
- Salesforce Administrator
- Salesforce Consultant
- Salesforce Developer
- Salesforce Business Analyst
- Salesforce Project Manager
- Salesforce Solutions Architect
- Salesforce Technical Architect
- Salesforce Marketing Cloud Specialist
- Salesforce Service Cloud Specialist
- Salesforce Community Cloud Specialist
According to Glassdoor, the average salary for a Salesforce administrator in the United States is around $83,000 per year, with top salaries exceeding $120,000. In addition to wages, many Salesforce administrators receive benefits such as health insurance, paid time off, and retirement plans.
In conclusion, if you are interested in working in the field of enterprise software and have a good understanding of the Salesforce platform, a career as a Salesforce administrator can offer a promising job outlook, a good salary, and opportunities for growth and advancement.